How we met

My fiancé and I met in the fall of 2005 with the help of two important people in our lives (who are now our maid of honor and best man). Ironically we had gone to the same university and lived right across the lawn from each other while in the freshman dorms and never met. Just out of college, a study abroad friend of mine introduced me to her coworker Miss S. Miss S and I hit it off and became good friends. A year or so later, Miss S was invited to a birthday party and was reacquainted with an old college friend, Mr. M (who was tagging along with one of his best friends, my fiancé). Mr.M, Miss S, and I soon became the three amigos. Mr M loved to host parties and get togethers and had always thought my fiancé and I should meet. But as luck would have it, every time we both went to one of his parties, one of us would arrive and leave before the other arrived. This went on for a couple years, until Mr M had his birthday party in Oct 2005. We finally met and a couple days later we sat in a coffee shop talking as three hours quickly passed by. This was followed soon after by our next 9 hour date that consisted of dinner, golf, a 3AM museum exhibit of King Tut, and a very early morning breakfast at Silverlake’s Fred 62.

I remember bringing him to meet some of my friends for the first time. Mr C, was hosting a Xmas potluck dinner for 9 guests. By the end of dinner and quite possibly after a few bottles of beer, someone had picked up a motorcycle helmet and ran head into a wall (as a joke). This was followed by a passing of the helmet around the table for everyone’s astronaut photo. If ever there was a time for my future fiancé to walk out the door, it was probably that evening. Luckily for me, he stuck around.

Three and a half years later, on July 18th 2009, my fiancé got down on one knee after we had been first row at a Coldplay concert. I was already on a high after seeing my favorite band and I was caught totally off guard. As he stood in the middle of the Home Depot Center and asked me to marry him, it suddenly felt like we were the only two people in the whole stadium. I cried, I said yes, and he endearingly slipped the ring onto the wrong hand. We were so happy that we didn’t even notice until after we had our pictures taken.

My fiance is an adorable, sweet, romantic, caring, considerate, smart, and funny man that cares immensely for his family, myself, and now my family. He can be silly with me, make me laugh, and lift me up after a hard day. We never run out of things to talk about which I love. He even kills spiders for me, how great is that? And even after 4.5 years, we still send loving texts/emails to each other through out the day. I can say that I truly look forward to seeing him when I get home every night.

So now it’s time to plan the wedding! We had a bit of a late start because we didn’t start planning until this past January. My married friends dropped their two cents early on saying that venues would book up but we hadn’t taken it too seriously. After looking at venues in January, we soon learned they were correct and that every Saturday we wanted was booked for 2010 (aside from 9/11!). We seriously considered surprising our friends and family by eloping while in Australia in February but ultimately decided we really wanted them there to share the day with us.

Our dream is to have an outdoor wedding which limits us from late April to early October and gives us even fewer Saturday options. But not to worry. We are in no big rush (obviously!) and we know we will be with each other forever which is all that matters. So we’re aiming for April-June of 2011 and we’ll have the pick of our litter on venue availability and vendor choices.

What follows are what we’ve done so far and the journey to get to our big day. I’m thrilled and excited to eventually be married and grow old with my fiancé. We have a whole adventure ahead of us that will be filled with love. I’m going to refer to him as Yams from hereon, my nickname for him. You Are My Sweetheart. Sappy, I know =)

1 comment:

Groom2B said...

This makes me, so cheery/ We act so young and I love you near me/ That's how we, express it/ And we're coming back for more/ You're at the heart of me, the very part of me/ Keep blogging, I want to hear more/ My mind keeps spinning, closer and closer to the thoughts that you jot/ and the words that I heard, and the smile on your face/ Together we'll move further ahead/ It just gets, so perfect/ I want you right here, and be with you everywhere else that we want to be/ And I'm sitting here, deeper in love with you/ We're together, on a bicycle for two!

Post a Comment